Reviews

Porthkerris July 2014

PORTHKERRIS 4-7 JULY 2014

Thanks to Steve for arranging the trip to Porthkerris. No getting up for early dives this year, the downside being it was a bit of a rush to be ready for the evening meals (Saturday in the Greenhouse and Sunday in the White Hart - both St Keverne).

Ireland here we come

A club trip over to the south West Coast of Ireland in 2013 staying on the Dingle Peninsular proved to be similar to planning a mini expedition. First of all how to get there and secondly how to get all the gear over safely!

Organising this trip as part of our Advanced Diver qualification I took on the accommodation and getting there and Wayne Horner co-ordinated the dive gear and personal luggage with Steve Slade.

We looked at best options for getting there, some decided to travel by ferry whilst the remainder decided to fly.

SS Derbent, Liverpool Bay 5/6/2010

The Derbent was an allied tanker that was torpedoed and sunk by U96 north of Anglesey. It was built in 1907 by Armstrong Whitworth & Co Ltd, in Newcastle Upon Tyne, length 94.5m, width 13.5m, weight 3178 tons. The wreck was confirmed as the Derbent when the bell was recovered july 1990. The wreck now lies in about 40m of water on its starboard side.

SS Cartagena, Liverpool Bay

The S.S. Cartagena was a T.R. Class minesweeping trawler built in Ontario, Canada by the Port Arthur Shipbuilding Co in 1917 for the British Admiralty and known as T.R. 4. The ships dimensions were 38.1 m long, 7.2 m wide and 4.1 m deep with a displacement of 275 tons. In 1926 the gun platform was removed and a fish hold was made forward of the main bunkers and she was sold to the Boston Deep Sea Fishing and Ice Company. The ship was renamed Cartagena. In December 1927 the ship was sold on to the Brazilian Ministry of Marine, on condition that it was delivered to Rio de Janeiro.

Diving the Battleships in Scapa Flow

The three remaining battleships of the High Seas Fleet at Scapa Flow are SMS Konig, SMS Markgraf and SMS Kronprinz Willhelm. These are all from the Konig class of dreadnought, the first in the High Seas Fleet to have their main armourment positioned down the centre line of the ship so that all of the guns could be bought to bear for either port or starboard broadside.